Updated: May 7, 2020
I've had a lot of delicious cake in my life, but carrot cake is hands down one of my favorites! Who would have thought a cake made with a vegetable could be so good??
This two-layer carrot cake is moist, perfectly "spiced," and pairs wonderfully with this creamy cashew frosting and some walnuts as a finishing touch!
Ingredients (one two-layer cake with frosting):
1 1/2 cup almond flour
1 1/4 cup oat flour
1 3/4 cup carrots, grated or shredded
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
6 tbsp plant milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 flax eggs ( 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 1/4 cup water)
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup nut butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp water
3/4 cup walnuts, crushed
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
2. Make flax eggs by mixing flaxseeds with water and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
3. Squeeze grated or shredded carrots to remove any extra moisture.
4. Mix shredded carrots, milk, applesauce, maple syrup, nut butter, and vanilla extract until well incorporated.
5. Add the rest of the cake ingredients into the bowl, including the flax egg, and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
6. Pour batter evenly into two 8" round cake pans. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes.
7. To make the frosting, place all ingredients into a food processor or high-speed blender until you get a creamy, smooth texture.
8. Let the cake cool COMPLETELY before frosting. This recipe makes enough frosting to make a NAKED cake, meaning enough to put in between each layer and over the top layer - it's all it needs, trust me!
9. Layer your cake with frosting and crushed walnuts (cake - frosting - walnuts - cake - frosting - walnuts) and enjoy!
I like to get many of my staples from Thrive Market - this saves me long drives to the grocery store and $$$ too of course! If you’d like to check it out for 30 days and get 25% off your first order, click here!
Don't forget to tag @datesanddimples when you try my recipes so I can check out your creations!