A healthier, baked version of your favorite breakfast treat!
Ingredients (makes 6 - 8 donuts):
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup plant milk
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour*
2 tsp baking powder
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 2 tbsp water)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 bar of Endangered Species Oat Milk "Gorilla" Bar
crushed peanuts (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
2. Mix both flours, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
3. Add applesauce, plant milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and flax egg to the mixture and mix well until fully incorporated.
4. Pour your batter into a donut pan, dividing into 6 - 8 donuts.
5. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
6. Let donuts cool completely before melting down your chocolate bar and dipping the tops of each donut into the melted chocolate to coat.
7. Sprinkle some crushed peanuts on the chocolate coating while it is still warm and melted.
8. Allow chocolate coating to harden at room temperature or in the fridge. I found mine hardened relatively quickly at room temperature.
*You may replace the buckwheat flour with oat flour but it does change the texture and flavor significantly (still good, but I love the buckwheat flour!)
Store in a sealed container in the fridge!
I like to get many of my staples from Thrive Market - this saves me long drives to the grocery store and $$$ too of course! If you’d like to check it out for 30 days and get 25% off your first order, click here!
Don't forget to tag @datesanddimples when you try my recipes so I can check out your creations!